The word ‘critical’ seems daunting in every situation of life. When we use it as a suffix with any process, like writing or reading, it refers to the addition of a few more steps to follow. In critical writing, the process goes beyond the traditional method of writing, such as paraphrasing and rewriting. Likewise, when it comes before the word reading, it tells readers to go beyond only understanding the superficial meaning of the text, though critical reading and writing are connected with each other in one way or another. But in this article, we will discuss the importance of critical reading techniques, especially in assignment writing.
Critical Reading Technique- A Brief Introduction:
In academics, critical reading techniques are something more than the traditional method of reading and reviewing a literary piece of information. Instead, it is the method of analyzing the text by dividing it into small components and then assessing its strengths and weaknesses. It allows readers to understand the exact meaning of the text to better utilize the information. Especially in academic writing, where the success of a research project is entirely based on the researcher’s understanding of all fundamental theories and facts necessary to understand the concept. Let’s see an example to understand this fact:
For instance, you are writing to help your audience know about the adverse effect of taking addictive drugs in youngsters; then, critical reading techniques will let you know about the age groups, genders, and other factors responsible for increasing the drug addiction ratio.
Likewise, in psychological assignments, when you are asked to comment on the fact that a ‘Man’s brain size is larger than the size of woman’s brain.’ In this area of interest, the critical reading technique allows researchers to start writing by keeping a few essential theories, facts and figures, and concepts at their fingertips.
Academic assignments are the small tasks assigned by tutors to students in order to evaluate their conceptual understanding. In fact, most of the time, students are provided with a brief description of the task or an assignment module so they can know what teachers demand from them. Attached with these academic assignment modules is a marking criterion so students can mark their efforts before the tutor’s final assessment. Even when you buy assignment online, it is the assignment module that helps the experts to complete your assignment without attending a single class lecture.
Importance of critical reading techniques:
No matter how technical an assignment is, if you are well aware of the critical reading techniques, it can be turned into a piece of cake. The following are some points depicting the importance of critical reading techniques in research or academic writing:
- Help understand the assignment modules. As explained in the previous section, the module helps students to improve their scores in an assignment. Likewise, the critical reading technique aims to support you in this process.
- Assure originality in research: Originality in research results, when you as a researcher, understand and interpret a piece of information and start adding your own views. The critical reading techniques are ideal for doing all these things simultaneously.
- Help you criticize someone else’s work: Criticism aims to highlight the dark as well as the bright side of an issue and thus is a leading approach to suggest new ideas that remain neglected in a particular area of interest.
- Making your own assumption based on deep understanding: Paraphrasing is only a method to stuff your data into the stream of internet. That is not at all the sole purpose of research. In this scenario, critical thinking and reading is the only way to suggest new ways to solve a research problem or persuade someone else to work by finding a research gap.
- Creating valid or logical connections between different ideas: Academic essays, assignments, and even dissertation scores better if all ideas are interconnected and revolves around the central idea. To establish these connections, you must make a good thesis supporting the title and main objectives of a study.
After all is said and done, the critical reading techniques are not called critical as something technical needs to be done to complete it. However, it is simply the process of writing an assignment by searching for a piece of information and reading it to delve into its deep meaning. Dividing the information into different parts and making the possible connections by understanding an author’s view is the main task to do in critical reading techniques.